St Joseph’s Primary was opened 29 January 1923 in Wynter Street, Taree with the initial enrolment of 88 pupils and a staff of five Sisters of Joseph’s under the principalship of Sister Mary De Sales. The commitment to Catholic Education displayed by the members of the Taree Parish, their Parish Priests, the Sisters of St Joseph and lay members of staff over the past ninety years has ensured that the educational foundations laid during the school’s early years have been strengthened and further developed for the benefit of all past and present St Joseph’s Primary students.
The staff and students of St Joseph’s moved into the new school facilities at St Joseph’s Drive on 25 May 1998. These buildings were blessed by Bishop Michael Malone and officially opened by the Hon Mark Vaile MP on Sunday 9 August 1998. As a school community we constantly display our respect to the Biripi people and acknowledge that they were the Traditional Custodians of the land on which our school is built upon.
St Joseph’s is currently a two-stream school with fifteen classes. The school has a total of approximately four hundred students. The staff of St Joseph’s consists of fifteen full time and nine part time teachers. There are four full time and sixteen part time support staff.